Saturday 14 June 2008

TV host Henry signs on and off for a while

Popular TV broadcaster Paul Henry will be off the air for the next couple of months, but his long-term future with TVNZ now seems assured.

Henry has signed a three-year contract with the state broadcaster which will see him continuing to co-host its Breakfast programme.

But from the end of this week, he is taking a two-month break from work to recharge his batteries and spend more time with his three teenage daughters.

"I'll be back raring to go for the election but I just want the opportunity to spend a bit more time with my children and to also take a break from the hours," said Henry, who gets up for work at 3.40am every weekday.

"I've got the best possible TV show at the worst possible time.

"I love it though I can't think of any other show that gives you so much freedom and opportunity to be yourself and state your own opinions."

Henry refused to reveal how much his contract was worth but said he was "really happy with it".

He also refused to be drawn on ongoing rumours about his links with high-profile businesswoman Diane Foreman.

"I don't like to talk about my private life," he said. "I'm quite guarded about that."





See Also